[2019-2020 | for other academic years see this link]
The Master's Degree Course in "Italian Culture and Italian as a Foreign Language" (MCS) meets a need of both Foreign students, studying in the University’s undergraduate programmes in the traditions of University of Naples, “L’Orientale” thanks to its numerous conventions with universities in Europe and beyond, and that of Italian students wishing to complete their studies: namely, the teaching of Italian and the spread of its language and culture abroad. Indeed, in Southern Italy there is a lack of an academic education programme that satisfies this need, which is particularly felt in the Mediterranean area.
The two-year Master's Degree Course in Italian Language and Culture for Foreigners belongs to the LM-14 Modern Philology degree classification. By the end of study, graduates are awarded a Master's Degree in Italian Language and Culture for Foreigners.
To graduate, students must gain 120 ECTS. The Course has only one curriculum.
About the Course LM - 14
The Master's Degree Course in Italian Culture and Italian as a Foreign Language aims to guarantee an advanced training in the linguistic, literary, artistic, historical and language teaching sectors. It provides specialist knowledge of the Italian language, Italian art and civilisation from the classical age to contemporary, as well as on the texts of the literary canon, on the history and geography of Italy.
In particular, the course aims:
- to ensure an excellent command of the Italian language, its phono-morphological, syntactic, textual and lexical structures, as well as its history and its varieties. A special attention is paid to the uses of specialised and sectoral languages;
- to provide the necessary skills in the fields of applied and acquisitive linguistics, as well as in the teaching of Italian as a second language;
- to guarantee an elevated ability in the analysis and critical-interpretative reading of the texts of the Italian literary cannon;
- to provide an in-depth knowledge of classical civilisation and its artistic expressions, enabling students to further comprehend the links to the subsequent artistic and cultural history of Italy;
- to develop a specialist knowledge in the fields of Italian art, covering a broad chronological range;
- to give students an understanding of the historical role of Italy and the nature of its territory in relation to other European countries and the Mediterranean area as a whole.
- to provide a perspective in which to frame the art of cinema and theatre as well as the musical aesthetics in the history of Italian culture and its civilisation;
- to improve students’ ability in a foreign language (Italians students) or Italian (foreigner students) through laboratory activities;
- to favour, through work placements, the application of the students’ studies or the teaching of Italian to foreigners. This will also be done through the use of IT tools and distance teaching. The Course also favours the enhancement of Italian culture and the promotion of its artistic heritage.
These objectives will be achieved by:
- 1) following the Study Plan of the Course. The single curriculum focuses on the disciplines of the linguistic field (including Language teaching itself) and those of literature. A significant weight is also dedicated to History, Philosophy, History of Art, and Geography.
- 2) self-learning language activities with the help of information technology. This is envisaged as the other activities of the first year;
- 3) the participation in internships and vocational training courses. This is envisaged as the other activities of the second year;
- 4) the writing of a thesis at the end of the course. The thesis will need to demonstrate the full achievement of the Courses’s academic objectives and show the student’s ability to apply their knowledge and understanding to a case study never previously discussed.
Experts in the teaching of the Italian language and culture to foreigners
Graduates will be able to provide assistance in tutoring, laboratory and support activities for teaching Italian in foreign institutions of higher education. After a qualifying training course, graduates will also be able to work as teachers of Italian language and culture in Italian schools abroad, foreign schools and universities where Italian teaching is present.
Among the associated skills of the graduate, an excellent knowledge of the Italian language is of particular relevance - a competence in the teaching of Italian to foreigners - a high specialisation in the history of Italian literature, - an in-depth knowledge of Italian art and culture.
Areas of Employment:
Teaching assistant at universities and higher education institutes abroad - after a qualifying training course, lecturer or teacher of Italian to foreigners, in Italy and abroad - expert collaborator in university language centres - expert collaborator in Italian and foreign cultural institutions.
Experts in the promotion, spread and fruition of Italian culture and civilisation abroad.
graduates will be able to perform activities that promote Italian culture and civilisation. This can be done in commercial companies and public and private bodies involved in the promotion and enhancement of Italian cultural and artistic heritage, both in Italy and abroad. Graduates will also be able to work as experts in agencies and institutions, both Italian and foreign, which promote, advertise and facilitate tourism in Italy.
Among the associated skills, of particular relevance are:
- a mastery in the studies of Italian art that allows graduates to move with agility from the classical age to the contemporary;
- a good knowledge of Italian history and geography;
- a solid preparation in the Italian performing arts;
- a good ability to develop texts aimed at promoting Italian culture and civilisation at tourism level.
Areas of Employment:
- cultural expert at Italian cultural institutes, agencies and foundations that promote Italian language, culture and civilisation abroad;
- expert collaborator in organisations and institutions, both public and private, and Italian and foreign, whose goal is the promotion of Italian historical, artistic and cultural heritage;
- expert collaborator in companies, agencies and tourism promotion bodies in Italy and abroad.